Health Professions Advising is additional guidance for students interested in pursuing health care careers following graduation.
What is Health Professions Advising?
Through Health Professions Advising, students will work with their academic advisors plus a member of the Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) to design a course of study that is suited to their specific career goals. Students may choose any undergraduate major that will enable them to fulfill the course requirements and other prerequisites for admission to professional schools. HPAC offers advising services for:
- athletic training
- chiropractic medicine
- occupational therapy
- physician assistant
- physical therapy
- public health
- veterinary science
Advising and planning for these professional programs is provided by expert faculty members in the School of Behavioral and Natural Sciences and the School of Health Sciences.
The Advantages of Health Professions Advising
Under guidance from their advisors, students will have access to:
- Career overviews, including a listing of tri-state professional schools, required and recommended courses, required exams, and other helpful information.
- Shadowing opportunities for a variety of careers
- Group and individual advising meetings
- A close connection with staff in the Career & Experiential Center and in the Academic Advising Resource Center.
- Exposure to healthcare professionals in the local community.
- Interviews and committee recommendations that are required by some professional graduate programs.
- Beneficial insight and assistance with the graduate program application process and interviewing process.
PA Scholar PAthways
The PA Scholars PAthway provides a select group of highly qualified undergraduate students an exclusive opportunity for early acceptance into the Mount’s graduate Physician Assistant (PA) Program.
Our expert faculty provides career readiness through guidance and advising in different health care professions. All of our HPAC advisors actively participate in the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP) and the Central Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (CAAHP) meetings.
BC Charles-Liscombe, Ed.D., ATC, Department of Athletic Training
Athletic Training Education Chairperson
Advisor for Pre-Athletic Training (graduate), Pre-Occupational Therapy, and Pre-Physical Therapy